Conference tournaments are in full swing, bubble teams are rising and failing, the one line is still up to be determined and there are a ton of great games to watch today. This post is designed to give you a primer of sorts on what to watch today and where the big games are happening, while also letting you know what bubble teams are playing today and where there are potential bid stealers to shrink the bubble.
- Indiana vs. #8 Maryland (6:30 PM, BTN) – Indiana is among the last four teams in the field right now and while a loss vs. #8 Maryland would not hurt them, a win would make them a lock for the field. The two times these teams have played have resulted in awesome games and I expect Indiana to play them tough. Maryland could be a bit rusty but Indiana will be without Perea, there best shot blocker. I expect Maryland to win, but in a close one and Indiana passes the eye test
- UCLA vs. Arizona (9PM, Pac 12 Network) – I do not believe UCLA will make the field unless they win vs. Arizona today. While UCLA has an impressive team, their resume is filled with too many bad losses to make the field in my opinion. However, if they can pull the upset vs. Arizona then they should be dancing. Arizona won by 10 in the first meeting and I expect a similar result in this game
- Purdue vs. Penn State (2PM, ESPN) – Purdue is in my last four teams in right now but a loss vs. Penn State would knock them out of the field most likely. While Penn State is playing good basketball right now, their RPI is too low for this too not be looked at as a bad loss that Purdue can simply not afford right now.
- Wyoming vs. Boise State(9PM, CBSSN)- Wyoming is a solid team who plays great defense but they are only going dancing if they win the Mountain West. They have a chance to get to the finals with a win over Boise State today and when the two teams played earlier in the year, Wyoming won by 11. I expect this to be a great game and Wyoming could pull off the upset
Games of the Day:
- Notre Dame vs. Duke (9 PM, ESPN) – The two teams have played twice this year, each winning one. However, Duke blew out Notre Dame the last time they played, winning by 32 points. Duke is playing their best basketball of the year right now and appear to be on a mission. I think Duke wins this one, but in a tight contest.
- Virginia vs. UNC (7PM, ESPN) – Virginia won earlier this year at UNC by 11 but UNC has the size and quickness and skill to be able to beat Virginia. However, they will need to be able to dominate on the glass to do so and Marcus Paige will need a huge game. I don’t think that happens and we get a Virginia vs. Duke showdown on Saturday night
- Providence vs. Villanova (7PM, FS1) – These two teams played twice, with Villanova winning both matchups but I believe Providence has the talent and the players to win this game. Providence won the Big East Tourney last year and I think Kris Dunn and LaDontae Henton are capable of winning them this game. However, Villanova is playing awesome basketball right now and I can’t see them losing.